Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Momento




For my momento, I wanted to represent a memory that has has a very positive effect on my life.Within the recent few years, I have converted into Paganism. Before discovering and learning about it, I was spiritual discontent is being a Christian. I have nothing bad to say about Christianity; it just didn't fit who I was. I always felt an affinity and appreciation for nature. Desperate to find some guidance, I began to research earth-centered religion and the first word that came up was "paganism". Upon reading the definition, I began to feel excited that this may be the path I was looking for. I spent weeks and weeks learning about it; and as I learned more, the more I realized I had found my calling. When I began to adopt the label of "Pagan", I started to feel embraced in warmth and serenity, which was what I wanted to show in my piece. 

The three materials I used are: balsa wood, dark purple yarn, and gold clay. Each material has it's own significance to my memory. 

Balsa Wood: This material is significant for 4 reasons. 1) The wood is a natural occurring resource from the Earth itself, which helps represent the earth-centered aspect of my religion. 2) The shape of the wood is suppose to be an abstraction of a cradle, which symbolizes the feeling of  safety and security when I converted. I felt nurtured and whole. 3) The lightness of the balsa wood also communicates the lightness I felt after finding that I found a religion suited for me. 4) The wood is a sturdy material so I chose wood to represent the stability and structure my religion gives me. 

Dark Purple Yarn: The purple yarn is significant for 3 reasons. 1) The yarn I chose has a very fuzzy and fluffy texture. Initially, I wanted to use a fluffy fabric, but I couldn't find anything at the store. So this was the next best thing. I wanted a material that helped communicate the warmth I associate with this memory and this fluffy yarn does just that. I laid the yarn in the interior of the cradle to act as a "blanket" or a "cushion" that helps communicate comfort and relaxation. 2) The color of the yarn is important to my memory because purple symbolizes spirituality, transformation, enlightenment. I chose a darker and warmer purple to, again, communicate warmth and safety. 3) Since the store didn't have the fabric, I was looking for, I decided to make my own by crocheting yarn. The fact that I weaved my own fabric makes the piece a lot more personal and significant by representing the beliefs I had already woven into my personality before converting to Paganism. It also represents the personal building of my religion, "weaving" it the way I want it. 

Golden/Yellow Clay: This material is significant for 4 reasons. 1) Like wood, clay is a natural occurring substance from the earth. The clay is suppose to be an abstract representation of myself resting in the cradle. Even though humans are constantly submersed in man-made things, we are still a product of nature, just like clay. 2) Clay can be molded, just like human beings. We mold our beliefs, our personalities and our lives into what we want them to be. Just how I molded my beliefs that led me to Paganism. 3) The spherical shape of the clay represents the infinite love for nature and the serenity that feel because of Paganism. 4) The color of the clay signifies joy, happiness, hope, satisfaction, and confidence. 

My momento altogether is the state of being, both physical and spiritual, resting on top of the warmth and security of my religion. 

In Progress Pictures



Fall 2016
3-D Materials and Concepts

No comments:

Post a Comment